Gardening is a popular hobby which has lots of positives, but also comes with the potential to cause strain or pain.
Guidelines for gardening
- don’t stay in any one position for too long, make sure you’re taking regular breaks
- be mindful of the position you’re in; in terms of making sure your back is supported
- don’t lift more than you can manage – gardening often comes with moving and picking up large/heavy items, know your limits
- keep out of the sun – or if it can’t be avoided make sure you have proper sun protection (hat, sunscreen, long sleeves)
- use the right tools – tools with good grips, cushioning and the right size for you will cause less strain