What is ‘holistic care’?
Holistic care ensures that the patient as a whole is treated – not just the issue or injury. The patients health history, current lifestyle and health goals are all taken into account. This ensures an accurate treatment plan, and long term positive health.
Each of our patients are treated individually and are given a treatment plan tailored to their needs.
A Holistic approach to your healthcare often involves exercise recommendations. The benefits of regular exercise are numerous –
- reduce your risk of health issues including heart attacks, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers
- improve your bone strength, muscles and joints assist with weight management
- help you feel better – more relaxed, higher moods, improved sleep
- help you recover from unwell periods faster
We will always explore diet as a part of our holistic healthcare plan, as ignoring diet would be ignoring a critical aspect of a persons overall health.
The word ‘diet’ often gets mixed up in what is better described as a crash or fad diet. These kinds of ‘diets’ generally do more harm than good by restricting what you can and cannot eat, and set you up to fail in the long run. A healthy balanced diet should be an everyday part of your life, rather than something that is focused on for short periods.
While this can vary from person to person most balanced diets consist of-
- lots of fresh vegetables, particularly green vegetables
- fresh fruits
- grains and cereals: wholemeal and wholegrain
- lean meats, eggs, legumes and seeds
- milk, cheeses and yogurt
- water, and lots of it
- everything else is not needed in your diet so should be treated as an ‘extra’ rather than replacing any of the above foods
- serving size of the above foods is an important factor and will change depending on your age and activity level